Old Laptop SSD Upgrade: how to install Samsung 850 EVO SSD; unboxing, migration & review; SSD vs HDD
May 22, 2017 Jon 17 Comments
How to upgrade your old computer with SSD. Easy laptop upgrade installing SSD. Samsung EVO SSDs are fast, reliable and have good price – check it out on Amazon:
Amazon US: http://amzn.to/1nPPyvs UK: http://amzn.to/1VR0vYf (more countries below)
0:17 SSD prices are dropping, you can buy even for an old computer
0:37 My first SSD from Samsung was for a MacBook 2009
0:48 A really slow PC laptop… 5 minutes before using anything
1:09 My second Samsung SSD: half the price!
1:20 Comes with software and instructions for migration
1:29 You need to have an USB case or SATA adapter cable
1:39 Installing and cloning the hard disk
2:00 Replacing the HDD for the SSD
2:19 The real speed test – what a difference!
2:37 SSD vs HDD: numbers don’t lie
Since 2009, I started using a Macbook as my main work computer. It came with a traditional hard-disk and I used it that way during 4 years. Then I changed its HDD for an SSD… what a difference! In 2013 those 500GB were expensive – but the productivity gain was brutal. It was my working tool, so it was worth the price.
Besides the Mac, we always had some PC around at home. We use it sporadically… so, we never considered buying an SSD for it – until now.
The Samsung 850 EVO line is offered in 120GB, 250GB, 500GB, 1TB and 2TB capacities. On Amazon you can compare the prices for each size – here are my affiliate links:
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD:
– http://amzn.to/1nPPyvs (Amazon USA)
– http://amzn.to/1VR0vYf (Amazon UK)
– http://amzn.to/1VR0Mu5 (Amazon Deutschland)
– http://amzn.to/1VR130a (Amazon España)
– http://amzn.to/1VR1dVn (Amazon France)
– http://amzn.to/1PWVuiA (Amazon Italia)
On both occasions I bough SSDs from Samsung after reading lots of reviews and some performance/endurance/energy-efficiency tests. There are other SSD brands who demand even more energy than an mechanical hdd, which on a laptop is a deal breaker to me. Right now Samsung offers a very good relation between price, capacity, performance, endurance and consumption (battery time).
Technology is always evolving, so if you find different brands/models worth mentioning, let us all know in the comments!
Article in my website:
Written, Performed and Produced by Everson Siqueira
Special Thanks/Credits to:
theme song: “Opening Night”
YouTube Audio Library, free music
Video Rating: / 5
- Connect a Samsung Note 7 to a Solid State Hard Drive SSD
- 5400rpm and 7200rpm Hard Drive vs Samsung EVO 850 SSD Solid State Drive
- Samsung external hard drive Set Up guide for Mac manual
- “Samsung M3 Portable” External USB 3.0 Slimline Hard Drive 2TB – UNBOXING and COMPARISON
- Samsung SDR-B74301N Hard drive replacement